Saturday, May 28, 2016

A bit of fresh air

Have I mentioned that I love being outside? Have I mentioned that I love taking photographs outside?

Last week I experienced the death of a person very near and dear to me. While most days were spent with loved ones, in the morning before connecting with the family, I needed to get out in the fresh air.



Sunday morning, on my way to Spring Hill, I took a detour and headed to Fort Island Beach in Crystal River. It's our one teeny tiny Gulf beach. I'm used to big long stretches of beach, whether on the Atlantic or on the Gulf of Mexico. But walking through the surf is my happy place so off to the beach I went.

You need to understand that Citrus County is part of Florida's Nature Coast. Our shore is basically a bunch of mangroves, inlets and winding rivers. Fort Island Beach is manmade. And did I say that it is very small? I walked from one end of the shore to the other and back - and then back again - and hadn't even covered 3/4 of a mile. That's okay, though. It really felt great to have my toes in the sand - and in the warm water of the Gulf.

The drive to the beach from Hwy 19 is pretty enough. You get the sense that you're driving towards the Gulf very early on. The beach is small and perfect for small children during the day. There are clean bathrooms and picnic tables. In the evening, the beach is perfect for romantics and those who love witnessing the glory of a beautiful sunset.

Just a short walk from the beach is a fishing pier. Another great place to watch the sunset. During the day, you might just be lucky enough to see dolphins frolicking from the pier.

There's one concession truck that sells everything you
might need for a day at the beach. They have snacks, too.

Perfect for small children, the water is very shallow and very
gradually gets deeper. No big drop off.




I seemed to recall that there was a botanic garden in Spring Hill. I googled it and found the Nature Coast Botanical Gardens and Nursery. Perfect! I can't tell you how many times I've been in Spring Hill, both before moving to Citrus County and since, and I'd never been to these gardens. Nor did I even realize how conveniently they were located. Monday morning, I set off to Spring Hill with my destination being the gardens before returning to spend time with my family.



I really had no idea what to expect from this botanical gardens and nursery run by volunteers.  There is no charge to enter but I gave a donation on the way in just because I appreciated all the work that must be done to keep the place going.

The gardens were lovely! What a hidden gem right off Spring Hill Drive. The morning was hot but once you're inside the gardens, the shade of the trees makes the heat bearable. There are clearly marked paths, but they are covered in wood chips and aren't paved. Closed shoes are a good idea.

I'm not sure if the rose garden, the butterfly garden or the Asian garden was my favorite. There were many other gardens besides.







What a perfect place to go for a stroll, get a little fresh air and take beautiful photos of flowers and plants.



While strolling around, I saw volunteers busily working in the gardens. I had a nice chat with the woman in charge of the desert garden.

Mondays and Saturdays there is a nursery open from 9 am to 12 noon with  reasonably priced plants. I walked through that briefly knowing that if I bought anything, it was going to be sitting in a hot car until after dark so I came away with nothing. I can easily see bringing my husband back just for that.




No comments:

Post a Comment